Monday, June 6, 2016

4 Weeks Post-Op Update

I can't believe it's been just about a month since I've had my surgery! It feels like time has gone by so dang slow, but if I reflect on my journey, time has gone by relatively quick. I have been making some pretty good strides. We are successfully weaning me down off my narcotics. I got rid of my 3:15am dose, I only take a muscle relaxer at 12:15am, and during the day my dose of oxy has decreased from 3 to 2 tablets and I every other dose I only take 1 tablet. I'm hoping that this week I will get down to only taking 1 oxy and then if that works, the following week I could take an oxy only if I don't take a muscle relaxer. That's my hope at least!

Lately I have been thinking about how being diagnosed with Chiari is permanently changing my life. Before surgery I was just mainly focused on the fact that I was having a major operation done and honestly I was just trying to get through the rest of the semester at Cornish in one piece. After surgery for the past three weeks I have just been trying to get through the pain and keep myself from not getting too frustrated. I see now that I won't be able to be as adventurous and as carefree as I used to be. I have to be mindful of how I live each day from start to finish because I know that if I push myself too much, I won't be able to do all that I want to do and I will be paying for it the next day. If anything, this diagnosis has taught me to love every minute of every single day and to live more simply. Yes there will be good days and bad days, days where I do end up going over my limit and days where I can't see to think positively. I am prepared for this now, at least I think I am!

There is a really great article/theory for helping others understand what it is like living with a chronic illness and pain disorder. It's called the spoon theory. Below is a link to the awesome article.

Have a great week!

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-chris . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment