Monday, May 23, 2016

2 Weeks Post-Op!

I cannot believe it has only been two weeks since I had my massive surgery. I can honestly say that I am pretty darn proud of how far I have come since May 9th. On a side note, I was trying to create a mid-week post, but for now at least I think updating once a week through my blog is most beneficial for myself. This way all of my followers can get a summary of how things are and I can reflect on my personal progress! So here we are.

This past week has been a lot easier than the last. After my puking incident, we were able to get my pain under control and have it stay that way consistently. I was noticing a pattern of what times during the day I get tired or need rest and when my pain is increased. By switching some of my medications around on my time schedule, I was feeling a lot better and more relaxed (to the highest degree a brain surgery patient can be).

Wednesday was my first day out of the house since Oliver's adoption and it was so successful! I'm going to be honest and say that I was pretty scared to see how I ended up feeling the rest of the day because I didn't want a repeat of the past Friday. My mom took me out to TJ Maxx and even though we were only out for about an hour, it was a great first step to feeling normal again. I then continued that trend of going to a store in the morning with my mom on Thursday and Friday and felt very good about it all. In the afternoons, I would relax on the couch, ice my incision, and often take some really amazing naps! This pattern of activity has really been working out for me and helps control my pain. The thing I have been struggling/getting irritated with lately is my incision itself. It is starting to scab over and becoming pretty darn itchy. I've also been having a hard time with laying comfortably. My neck and the back of my head are obviously pretty darn sore, but I just haven't found the perfect combination of pillows and blankets to help me out, so hopefully that gets resolved soon!

I feel extra blessed reflecting on the past week I've had. My diagnosis and surgery has taught me a lot about myself and my strength and character, but it has also reaffirmed my love for the simple aspects of an every day life. I am beyond glad that I was able to show up at the dance competition my old studio attended and was able to watch them dance on the stage that my roots were built on. The hugs and surprised faces of seeing me up and out in public gave me just that much more strength to power through my bad day and good days. Thank you all for your continued love, good thoughts, and prayers. #CMstrong

No comments:

Post a Comment